At Black Khaki we believe business is personal. Like a firm handshake. Like real face time. Like dinner around a table. We’re old-school like that. We like it like that, because it’s good for business. It keeps things real, which is exactly our aim. Why, you ask? Simply put, because we are people’s people and that means we can serve you, and your brand, in the best possible way. You are not just another meal ticket. Or a fast track to awards. At Black Khaki we are concerned with the well-being of your brand, the effectiveness of your communication and ultimately the state of your bottom line.
The difference we make is implied in our name: Black Khaki. It’s a little bit Platteland with some urban flair. It’s where old-styled values meet with fresh, innovative thinking. It’s understanding and taking classical advertising and delivering never-seen-before executions. We do not merely offer you solutions – we offer you results through strategic intent and creative output. It’s true that everyone is different – but not everyone makes a difference. We believe we do.
it through our work
There’s an old saying that if you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything. At Black Khaki, standing merely for something isn’t enough, we actively take a stand. We take a stand for effectiveness and we combine that with creativity. Not for the sake of awards, but for results and for the sake of great marketing. To us that’s good salesmanship and it’s why we do what we do.
So, if you’re looking for the most effective boutique communications consultancy in Southern Africa – let’s talk. We’ll get marketing to work for you.
- Marketing and brand communications consulting
- Internal and external communication programmes
- Strategic planning
- Graphic design
- Corporate identity development
- Desktop publishing
- On-line marketing
- Web design and development
- Social media marketing
- Print production
- Corporate videos
- App development
Life is all about relationships. Our passion, strategic acumen and creative excellence are therefore the result of great partnerships. Our portfolio is a testament to our clients’ success. With an attitude of, “On the ball – Out of the park”, we create memorable campaigns and effective communication solutions on time, within budget and above expectations. Please scroll through our portfolio for an in-depth look of what we can offer your brand.
- Auto ExcellenceGood. Great. Excellent.When a client is used to the best, how do you take them from good to great? In the search for branding excellence, Auto Excellence contacted us to redesign their corporate identity and website as well as act as custodians for their brand. An increase in their sales, brand mentions and brand awareness was testimonial to our craft as creative partners. They are truly going above and beyond and not only did the rebranding inspire the staff, but it also shifted them to a higher gear.
- BUCO. Hardware. BuildwareLet's Build TogetherFrom developing their consumer promise, "Let's Build Together", we pride ourselves on being the creative partners for BUCO. They might be a new player in the hardware and buildware arena, but they certainly know how to pack a mean punch. They know their stuff when it comes to hardware and buildware and having the opportunity to develop and build their brand campaigns is just rocking good fun. Retail marketing is tucking fuff, but the increase in both awareness and sales we've generated for BUCO, serves as testimony to our commitment and our craft. If you want to build something, make sure you use the guys that can deliver before Santa.
- BUCO. Hardware. BuildwareThe Art of the Sale.Yes. There is an art to selling. Whether you need cutting edge retail campaigns, or effective below the line elements, we can assist. We know how to weather the storm and steer you into calm, more prosperous waters. Even if it's smooth sailing, we can help you get and profit the most out of your current situation by tailoring your retail campaign to serve your needs even better. We successfully did it for BUCO - we can do the same for you.
- Gateway OCMud. Sweat. Gears.One of the more established off-road centres in the Western Cape approached us to redesign their corporate identity and website as well as look after all their branding requirements. Since we love to get down and dirty, we muddied our hands and developed a new grungier-styled identity for them. One that speaks more clearly of their "going the extra-mile" for customers and their can-do attitude.
- HinterlandPeople eat with their eyes.We were approached by our client to develop their packaging and labels. We wanted it to be both functional and as mouth-watering as its contents. For the Hinterland range of quality prime meat, we took the challenge head on. No bull. Pure. Simple. Honest.
- MopaniLet's talk Safety in Africa.Operating in the heart of Africa, Mopani approached us to develop and localise some of their SAFETY campaigns. Through colourful illustrations, paired with local narrative, we have developed the SAFETY SAGAs. The SAGAs deal with complex safety and fatal hazard protocols at the mine, and cut through all the clutter to aid in safety awareness and ultimately saving or protecting lives.
We pick and choose unique people who will fit in with our one of a kind approach and culture. To ensure we find the right people, who look for individuals who are on top of their game – not merely bringing experience to the table, but also creativity and a passion for effective advertising. An agency is an eclectic mix of personalities who come together with a single goal. Here’s everyone in our mix. Come say hello.
Born in a small farming community (Moorreesburg) and with family ties in Namibia, Aldri enjoys life outside of the city. A raconteur, amateur photographer and published writer that likes to explore the dirt roads of Africa in an old Land Rover, he believes "die lewe is 'n grenshotel".
Aldri holds degrees in B.A. Law, International Studies (Hons.), International Relations (MA), and diplomas in Copywriting, Creative Writing and Digital Marketing. He loves reading (from flyers and packaging to the more serious stuff), malt and music (classic rock). Aldri joined Black Khaki seven years ago and have been lecturing at Vega School of Brand Leadership for the past 5 years in Principles of Strategic Thinking.
"As a youngster I used to watch newcomer of the week (all the advertising and new ads) in the 80's. The advertisements clearly inspired me, and since I can recall I wanted to get involved in the world of brands and brand communication. I got tired of Law quickly since it was too black and white, whereas Pantones, Khaki and Olive drab excited me much more."
Nick went to school at Grey College but matriculated at Afrikaans Boys High in Pretoria when his father was transferred to the Capitol city. After majoring in rugby and social activities [Cum laude] at Tuks, but with no real subjects passed and lacking in desire to find a job, Nick was kicked out of home by his dad who suggested that if he had nothing to do he should go and do it somewhere else. He needed a place to keep himself amused between rugby practices so he joined "Steve's nemesis", Barclays Bank DCO, the forerunner to FNB. After completing his diploma in Banking and Financial Practices through the SA Institute of Bankers, he was offered a job with the Rembrandt Group. A brief stint on "Team Gunston" was followed by a transfer to Head Office in Stellenbosch where Nick became one of the Brand Advertising Managers. He was seconded to Rothmans London for a year and after a brief period back in the Marketing Dept he was sent to Carling National Breweries in Toronto for another year.
Upon his return he was promoted to the late Dr Anton Rupert's secretariat as the coordinator for the Southern Hemisphere. After two years in that position he became the Head of the Group's Advertising Coordination Department. He also studied through UNISA for a BCom degree. Nick was headhunted to become the Marketing Director of Republican Press, at the time the largest magazine publisher in SA. He hated every minute of it but they paid him over the top and he learnt a lot about media and advertising agencies. After growing Republican's market share to a 72% high he accepted an invitation to join D'Arcy MacManus & Masius as Group Account Director, and soon thereafter was invited to join the board. At last he found his calling in life!
Nick has been in advertising and marketing for the past 45 years and served on the boards of several international agencies as well as being a shareholder in D'Arcy's, and later Leo Burnett. After selling his shares to the holding company in Chicago he contemplated an easy life on a game farm but a dying friend persuaded him to buy his small agency in Pretoria instead. From this grew Black Khaki, the smallest big agency in SA. Nick is currently Chairman and gets much joy from being a mentor to the young, dynamic management team in the agency. He still gets goose bumps when he sees a great advert.
Michelle grew up on a farm in the Karoo, near Graaff Reinet. Salt of the earth. What you see is what you get. She is a no-nonsense, honest-to-goodness hard worker, who started at the bottom and over the past five years worked her way up to Client Services Director at Black Khaki.
She's got a BA Integrated Marketing Degree, an Honours in Brand Strategy from Vega and did a Digital Marketing Course from Red & Yellow.
Michelle is all about detail and excellent service. And good coffee, fresh flowers, wine after work, cooking, Joburg views, restaurants, markets and basically all things pretty and unique. Her mission in life is to do things differently whilst keep true to the basics - like executing clients' briefs in the most effective way.
"I believe that little things lead to big things... Elke bietjie help... Die lewe is 'n lied... jy moet net sy tune kry."
Andre has done it all. As well as studied it all at every advertising school that matters. An alumnus of Open Window, AAA School of Advertising and Red & Yellow, Andre started an illustrious career in 1998 and worked his way through some of the most impressive agencies in South Africa.
He is married, with a little girl Nina (5), two Miniature Schnauzers and is an aspiring foodie, interested in music, nature, walking dogs, taking Nina on bike rides and skateboarding on the promenade.
Andre joined Black Khaki in 2013 as he felt the need to be more involved in different aspects of creative and design work that lives beyond the digital realm. His mission is to find and apply practical creative solutions to projects that are not only successful but also satisfying.
And he believes he was a Mexican luchador in a previous life...
- More than 20 years Marketing Experience
- Changed the Laws of the Country - Twice
- More than 50 International Awards
- Author of Award-Winning Book Clint Eastwood van Wyk en die Moordenaarsklok
- Master of Steam Punk (Cum Laude)
- Coffee Snob
- Over 4 Years Experience
- Undergrad in PR & Honours Marketing
- Occasional Bike Rider
- Much like cycling - in life (and advertising), what goes down must go up
- Optimistic Realist or Realistic Optimist, which one is it?
- Studied BCom Economics & International Trade with Honours in Marketing (Cum Laude)
- Traded the Countryside for the City
- Secret Musician & Singer
- "My running shoes have more kilometres than my car does"
- Living well is the best revenge
- Graduated from Vega
- Over 4 years Copywriting Experience
- Good at Bringing in New Business
- Read over a Gazillion Books
- Lover of Polka Dots
- Fashion Addict
- 10 Years Design experience
- Courses completed at UCT and Oakfield's college
- Indesign Believer
- Cheats on Design with Photography
- Silently Judging your Font Choice
- Mother of a Tiny Cat named Harley
- Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design
- 3 Years experience in designing
- Studied at CTI/MGI College in Potchefstroom
- Despises Comic Sans
- I've got designer bags under my eyes
- BA Degree in Graphic design and Critical thinking
- Greenside Design Center College of Design Board of Excellence Alumni
- Courses completed in Fundamental Film & Advanced Digital Photography
- 33.3% Pizza, 33.3% Coffee, 33.3% Jedi
- Canoeing Crazy: life is a river, row row your boat
- Rhodesian Blood, I must fix everything
- Coding Ninja
- Over 10 years experience in Web Development
- Guild Wars 2 Fanatic
- Plant Whisperer
- Network / Printer / Email Noob, But I try
Des inherited a passion for the written word from his bibliophile parents and siblings, who didn't suffer poor or lazy grammar gladly.
He also began drawing at a very early age, and was encouraged by teachers to attend graphic design college, then seen as the best path to an advertising career.
Armed with a National Diploma in Graphic Design, Des joined BBDO straight out of college, but quickly moved to DMB&B as an art director under creative supremos Willie Sonnenberg & Terry Murphy. His career as an AD took him throughout Southern Africa on location, as well as to Europe and the US.
Des switched focus to copy writing in 1997, but is routinely asked to art- and creatively direct projects, as well as illustrate.
Des lives with a collection of 5000 books, 4000 vintage model cars, and scratch builds miniature models to clear his mind.
Raika has worked for 10 years as an accountant at various organisations, five of which have been at Black Khaki. She describes herself as reserved and shy at first, but once you get to know her, she's goofy and fun to be around.
With a B. Compt (Honours) Degree behind her name, it is in her nature to always give 100%. She is, in fact, righteous, astute, intelligent and kind. She loves family, the outdoors, nature and the sea and considers herself to be different because she is motivated by love and passion for what she does.
"I've always placed myself in a position that allows me to learn and grow not only in my career but as a person (balance is pertinent to me), and the culture at Black Khaki has allowed me to achieve this."
Richard is an avid lover and collector of classic cars. This is all you need to know about him. But it is only the tip of the iceberg. He is also the Chairman of the Board of Directors (Wildlife and Environment Society of SA), a National Award Recipient of NACSSA (National Association of Conservancies and Stewardships of SA), as well as an award-winning classical musician - singing and piano - and one of the very first people to perform in (then) East Germany on a Lieder Tour of the new united Germany with SA Soprano Colleen Philip.
Richard holds BA, LLB, MBA and D.Juris degrees, has over 27 years of multi-sector engagement experience, with 15 years of assisting companies to outperform their resources. He has worked for the Natal Chamber of Industries as a Law advisor, a lecturer in Cologne, Germany in Commercial Jurisprudence, a Strategy, Labour Law and HR specialist as the CEO of his own company, and since 2014, narrowed his focus primarily to his passion for strategic facilitation, implementation and progress control: leadership development and coaching.
"My Mission in life is a formal contract I signed with myself in 1994. 'To Bring Worth' - to people, planet, situations and business. My guiding principle is 'Do the right thing and then do things right'."
Harry Teifel obtained a Bachelors in Industrial Engineering (1993), Masters in Commerce (1996) and Doctorate in Commerce (1999) with Strategy and Marketing being focus areas. He has worked in the fields of FMCG, Consulting / Services, Manufacturing and Wholesaling. He has been exposed to a variety of Sectors: Automotive, Defence, Telematics / Logistics / Fleet Management, Rail, Skills Development and Aerospace, Finance / Insurance and IT. Previous Employers include IBM, DEKRA and Daimler. He has worked and lived both in South Africa as well as Germany / Europe. He is fluent in English, German and Afrikaans - and consults to clients in these three languages.
The Media Mill, 7 Quince Road,
Ground floor, Main Building,
Black Khaki Brand Communicators
Black Khaki Brand Communicators